Friday, February 19, 2010

Making a difference in Haiti...

Guest entry by Jeffrey Henry, Medweb Engineer in Port-a-Prince, Haiti (Tuesday, February 16, 2010)

I’m about to change someone’s world by printing them a 180 page X-ray user manual. He will be an X-ray tech the rest of his life, and probably be able to provide a much better home for his wife and child because of it.

In my not so humble opinion, this trip has been a resounding success. Ever since I set up the view station right next to the Medweb, the doctors have been running back and forth non stop from their patient to the PACS view station. It was awesome to see this. The Medweb PACS has truly helped people get their studies read in a timely fashion; it has enabled them to compare old X-rays to new ones, determine the rate at which people are healing, and decide if they can be discharged. I’m confident Medweb’s donation has helped reduce the length of time people are suffering, and has helped save some peoples lives.

I helped my new Haitian friend Fetner send all the old studies needed by the doctors one image at a time for review.

Before I leave, I am going to print out 1 copy of the Medweb plug-in user manual and staple it together and leave it near the View station for incoming doctors when I am not here. Come to think of it, I should train Fetner to train the Haitian docs. I love how things work out sometimes.

I definitely miss my home, friends and coworkers. If we are coming here on another trip, I will help make a drive to get donations. I cannot stress to you enough how much is needed here.

-Jeffery Henry

1 comment:

  1. Dear Kim,
    I was referred to you by a dentist working in Kenya. He told me that you were interested in my project in Afghanistan. There is a lot of dental need in Afghanistan but few dentists. There are a lot of orphans and widows, and other disadvantaged people with no future without education. Our project educates dental assistants, dental hygienists, and dental laboratory technicians. Our six-chair dental clinic treats about fifty people a day. Please call me at 805-963-2329 or send me an e-mail at adrp@verizon.net.

    James Rolfe, DDS

    ReplyDelete